Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sandy


I have walked the roads of devastation
I have seen the raging storm
I have heard the sheer desperation
Of a million honking horns
I have heard the sirens blaring
They wouldn’t reach those homes
I have been under military protection
And seen the panic of those left alone
Their souls were in their eyes
My heart echoed their deepest cries
Desperation and fear drove a few to shoot
Greed and opportunity drove others to loot
Homes were on the sidewalks
Residents in the streets
Water had covered our houses
But we did not admit defeat
For those who could not stand
We reached and took their hand
We marched back into our broken little land
To heal the wound we must withstand
Still others came to rally
Shouts rang out to rebuild
But first the land must be tilled
Our homes were then knocked out or down
Our broken memories removed
Once again the slate was blank
The sand recedes
Ours lives began anew
For through the pain and suffering
We were not broken
Merely bruised

© 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment