Yesterday was a day like any other
I woke up
I went to work
I loved my job
But I had a heartbreaking moment while playing.
K was playing with her toys as usual, dollhouse is always fun. But she took a break and walked over to her vanity to "play makeup". I thought it was sweet, wanting to play with makeup like mommy. But she did not phrase it that way. She sat in front of her mirror and said, "I want to put on makeup to be pretty." I softly said she was pretty without any makeup on. She responded, "No, I need makeup to be pretty. Makeup makes me pretty." I sat down next to her vanity and just looked at her face, she was so concerned about getting the blush open and putting it on. When she finished she turned to me and said, "I did it right? It's pretty now?" I beamed and told her that just like always she looks beautiful. I told her that she is the sweetest little girl, and that I love the way she loves her little brother. I told her that she is smart and I'm so proud of the way she always tries her hardest at everything. And she giggled and gave me a hug and curled up in my lap, looked in my eyes and said, "But do I look pretty?" Yes.
My heart is torn. I know she didn't mean anything by it at all, that she just wanted to know if the makeup was pretty. But inside of me, it feels deeper than that. I will try with everything in me to let this beautiful little girl know that she is kind and loving, and that is what makes her so beautiful. Makeup or not. But will the world drown out what I have to say? Will it tell her to push aside kind, loving, and empathetic in favor of made up, or make up, beauty?
My prayer for this little girl is that she will always know that makeup comes off at the end of the day, but no one can wash away the beauty that is within her.
No comments:
Post a Comment